Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's Clay Aiken Fan Discussion Forums - News, Tours, Events, Photos & Message Board
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Legal Recreational Marijuana: Not So Far Out
RWG
post Feb 17th 2012, 3:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

This issue seems to have faded into the background a bit, but seeing as voters in both Washington and Colorado face the opportunity to legalize marijuana this November, I thought I'd throw it up for discussion. I remember IDF was split down the middle on this issue the last time it was discussed.

As TIME's Adam Cohen reports, legal recreational marijuana may be closer than some imagine.

Legal Recreational Marijuana: Not So Far Out

With medical marijuana now available in 16 states, decriminalizing pot for recreational use could be around the corner

The drive to legalize marijuana has long been a fringe cause, associated with hard-core libertarians and college-age stoners. But it could go mainstream in a big way in this Novemberís election, when Washington could become the first state to legalize recreational pot use. If it does ó or if voters in any of several other states do ó this year could be a turning point in the nationís treatment of marijuana.

The idea that a majority of voters could support legalizing marijuana may seem far out ó but the polls say otherwise. In many states, the prolegalization and antilegalization camps are roughly equal in size. In a poll of Washington state voters released last month, supporters of the legalization referendum outnumbered opponents: 48% vs. 45%.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/02/06/legal-rec...t#ixzz1mfkOkXNo

--------------------
There are an awful lot of bubble reputations floating around that one wouldn't be doing one's job if one didn't itch to prick.

Canadians, sign here to keep Big Oil out of our parks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Feb 17th 2012, 3:21 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

bumnummies
post Feb 20th 2012, 9:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Blend Artists

I assume you heard the Federal libs want to put it on the table next election... whistling.gif

Bring it on. As long as it's a controlled substance - controlled like (Hard) Liquor and not like Cigarettes though - I really don't have many issues with legalization. And Decriminalization, absolutely, no questions, done. Get rid of all of that build up in the justice system. Go fight the big crimes guys.

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
RWG
post Feb 20th 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #3

I did read that. It's not a bad initiative for restoring the party's youth movement. I remember Jack Layton was adamant that people who smoke weed aren't criminals, but I'm not sure I've ever heard the NDP say anything so overtly pro-legalization. I still imagine a merged left party would support legalization.

I would essentially treat it as booze too. If imposed in conjunction with the same kind of drinking laws we have on age, driving, and public intoxication, legalization eliminates most of what society believes make weed dangerous.

Also, just fun to point out that if you don't support decriminalization, you're to the right of Pat Robertson on this issue.

--------------------
There are an awful lot of bubble reputations floating around that one wouldn't be doing one's job if one didn't itch to prick.

+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Feb 20th 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #4

Group: Blend Artists

QUOTE(RWG @ Feb 20th 2012, 11:20 PM) *

I did read that. It's not a bad initiative for restoring the party's youth movement. I remember Jack Layton was adamant that people who smoke weed aren't criminals, but I'm not sure I've ever heard the NDP say anything so overtly pro-legalization. I still imagine a merged left party would support legalization.

I would essentially treat it as booze too. If imposed in conjunction with the same kind of drinking laws we have on age, driving, and public intoxication, legalization eliminates most of what society believes make weed dangerous.

Also, just fun to point out that if you don't support decriminalization, you're to the right of Pat Robertson on this issue.

Yeah, my only issue really is smoking + children.... poor parenting, essentially. My only question is the negative effects on second hand weed and whether or not kids could get high from the second hand smoke. tongue.gif That's like.... probably my only major concern for legalization (but, parents can smoke cigarettes around their kids and contribute to problems like asthma!). I just think like, the government wastes so much time locking people up for possession and even trafficking.... they could not only divert all of that labour into other things, and not only save money from it not being tied up in the system, but could EARN money from it being a regulated, taxable product. I don't think it's any more harmful than alcohol on a person and certainly a lot more "natural" and less toxic than cigarettes, which are still legal.... tongue.gif There aren't a lot of good arguments I've heard to truly stay against it.

PS when did Justin Trudeau get so old???? I didn't realize he was already 40, holy crap. At least he doesn't look it most of the time, lol.

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
juniorfan4eva
post Feb 21st 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Feb 20th 2012, 11:32 PM) *

Yeah, my only issue really is smoking + children.... poor parenting, essentially. My only question is the negative effects on second hand weed and whether or not kids could get high from the second hand smoke. tongue.gif That's like.... probably my only major concern for legalization (but, parents can smoke cigarettes around their kids and contribute to problems like asthma!). I just think like, the government wastes so much time locking people up for possession and even trafficking.... they could not only divert all of that labour into other things, and not only save money from it not being tied up in the system, but could EARN money from it being a regulated, taxable product. I don't think it's any more harmful than alcohol on a person and certainly a lot more "natural" and less toxic than cigarettes, which are still legal.... tongue.gif There aren't a lot of good arguments I've heard to truly stay against it.

PS when did Justin Trudeau get so old???? I didn't realize he was already 40, holy crap. At least he doesn't look it most of the time, lol.

That's really only if they were to be in a REALLY small space with no air circulation, like if they were smoking in a car with all the windows done up or something.

Anyway, I think it's good that thye're even considering it. I have never really understood why - it's much less harmful than alcohol. Not that everyone should be going out and buying weed once it's legalized but yeah... alcohol is way worse, long and short term affects. whistling.gif

--------------------
The moon never beams without bringing me dreams...
+Quote Post
RWG
post Feb 22nd 2012, 2:31 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Feb 20th 2012, 8:32 PM) *

I hate not being able to do things responsibly because crappy parents can't control their stupid kids.

Your post brings up many of the points to which I was referring. flowers.gif Additionally, legalization eliminates the fears related to private dealers and gangs. You'd know that the weed you're buying is safe and clean and that it didn't pass through the wrong hands.

There are ways to suggest cigarettes are more harmful (nicotine, tar, chemical additives, etc.) and ways to argue weed smoke is harder on your lungs. Also, the latter impairs you. Some go by the notion that cigarettes are worse for your health and weed is worse for your head. The closest thing to a general consensus is that neither one is healthy.

Yeah, I thought he was more of a Liberal Party wunderkind. He doesn't look like either of his parents. And I hope I have hair like that at 40. I just looked up his stances on pot, and he actually opposes legalization. Though it sounds like he's lied about personal use.

QUOTE(juniorfan4eva @ Feb 20th 2012, 9:17 PM) *

That's really only if they were to be in a REALLY small space with no air circulation, like if they were smoking in a car with all the windows done up or something.

Anyway, I think it's good that thye're even considering it. I have never really understood why - it's much less harmful than alcohol. Not that everyone should be going out and buying weed once it's legalized but yeah... alcohol is way worse, long and short term affects. whistling.gif

An infant--assuming he or she doesn't spark on the regular--would probably get high on second hand if a parent is doing in the same room in a house. There's no issue if parents just do the sensible thing and not smoke around their kids, but if you're the kind of parent who doesn't care enough to smoke with an infant in the room, you probably don't care if it's legal.

This post has been edited by RWG: Feb 22nd 2012, 4:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
newarchiefan
post Feb 22nd 2012, 5:15 PM
Post #7

Fav. Person: David Archuleta

QUOTE(RWG @ Feb 22nd 2012, 2:31 AM) *

There are ways to suggest cigarettes are more harmful (nicotine, tar, chemical additives, etc.) and ways to argue weed smoke is harder on your lungs. Also, the latter impairs you. Some go by the notion that cigarettes are worse for your health and weed is worse for your head. The closest thing to a general consensus is that neither one is healthy.

The drug in weed that gets you high (THC) is perfectly healthy. Where weed is not healthy is the most common method of delivery which is smoke. Combusting the cannabis plant produces toxins and tars similar to that in tobacco smoke, which is what is harmful. However there are healthier ways to consume it such as in food or vaporization.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RWG
post Feb 23rd 2012, 3:19 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(newarchiefan @ Feb 22nd 2012, 2:15 PM) *

The drug in weed that gets you high (THC) is perfectly healthy. Where weed is not healthy is the most common method of delivery which is smoke. Combusting the cannabis plant produces toxins and tars similar to that in tobacco smoke, which is what is harmful. However there are healthier ways to consume it such as in food or vaporization.

A good amount of research links cannabinoids and male fertility, no? Here's a study I just dug up. Dated stoner caricatures aside, that's the only criticism I've heard of THC itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newarchiefan
post Feb 26th 2012, 1:59 AM
Post #9

Fav. Person: David Archuleta

QUOTE(RWG @ Feb 23rd 2012, 3:19 AM) *

A good amount of research links cannabinoids and male fertility, no? Here's a study I just dug up. Dated stoner caricatures aside, that's the only criticism I've heard of THC itself.

Hmm, interesting hadn't seen that.

I do agree that there needs to be more research. The legal status has really inhibited a lot of research opportunities on it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
xxnatalalaliee
post Apr 29th 2012, 8:45 PM
Post #10

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

I really hope it starts being legalized for recreational use...that would just solve so many problems.

But really, the only thing harmful is smoking it and the smoke going into your lungs. Eating it prevents that. THC has been proven to have nothing wrong with it. Legalizing it will help prevent it from being laced, too.

--------------------

"David Archuleta is going to put a smile on your face, I don't care how upset you are." -Kris Allen
+Quote Post
adamsmo
post Apr 30th 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #11

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen

Decriminalization, all the way, absolutely. I've debated with my very right-wing mom, who favors full legalization (wtf), a few times, and I think she's sort of come around to it.

Seriously, it would be a mistake to allow it to be sold alongside alcohol and cigarettes, both are huge problems in society as is. But we shouldn't penalize people for using pot (as well as some other drugs like LSD, ecstasy, etc)... heroin, meth, etc, absolutely.

--------------------
http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/

is you very anti-abortions because you yourself was aborted?
+Quote Post
RWG
post Apr 30th 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(adamsmo @ Apr 29th 2012, 10:31 PM) *

Seriously, it would be a mistake to allow it to be sold alongside alcohol and cigarettes, both are huge problems in society as is.

That's not really the point. You have to look at the tradeoffs. Marijuana is much more of a threat as an illegal substance than it would be as a legalized, regulated one.

I've never understood the "you don't want two of them" argument when talking about legalizing marijuana alongside alcohol. If you were to oppose the sale of both for the benefit of society, fair enough. But why should one person's vice be deemed okay over someone else's? It's a completely arbitrary and unfair ruling.

If we're only going to have one, someone will seriously have to explain to me why alcohol is the way to go. Unlike with alcohol, there are no recorded deaths caused by marijuana. The crime linked to it is a complete myth. Yes, it causes crime from being illegal in itself, which coincides with the trafficking and gang violence, but none of these exist with alcohol, because it is legal. You never hear of people smoking marijuana and physically abusing others or vandalizing public property, like you do with alcohol. You may make mistakes along the lines of being a little clumsy, but you don't hop in bed with a stranger and make a baby. Studies even show that people who smoke marijuana and drive--though I still don't condone doing it--are almost no more likely to cause a crash than they are when they drive sober. Aside from breaking the law that says they're not allowed to smoke marijuana, people generally don't do anything to harm society when they smoke marijuana. They're slower, but the behavior of tired and hungry people pales in comparison to the psychotic things people do when they're drunk.

It's infuriating for marijuana users to be told they can't have their vice but that drinkers can have theirs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
juniorfan4eva
post May 1st 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(xxnatalalaliee @ Apr 29th 2012, 9:45 PM) *

I really hope it starts being legalized for recreational use...that would just solve so many problems.

But really, the only thing harmful is smoking it and the smoke going into your lungs. Eating it prevents that. THC has been proven to have nothing wrong with it. Legalizing it will help prevent it from being laced, too.

Except that eating it makes the high so much longer and is so much more messed up roll.gif

--------------------
The moon never beams without bringing me dreams...
+Quote Post
kathydavid
post May 1st 2012, 5:01 PM
Post #14

I see a lot of people saying they'd treat it the same as liquor, but why? In studies it's been shown to be no more dangerous than tobacco. Still not great, but certainly from a fact-based stance it's more akin to cigarettes, so why not treat it like them?

--------------------
BB Chez FTW! IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 16th 2014, 4:51 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: SirLinksalot: Clay Aiken | Celebrity Spider: Clay Aiken