Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's Clay Aiken Fan Discussion Forums - News, Tours, Events, Photos & Message Board
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teacher Appreciation Thread
Jen
post Mar 25th 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #101

daniwub #2

Group: NX Subscribers

Fav. AI3: Diana DeGarmo
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. SYTYCD: ML JF SN CG CH MS

QUOTE(JORDAN_FAN @ Mar 24th 2012, 5:52 PM) *

I'm glad that I'm not the only one having a difficult experience student teaching.... I get along pretty well with my cooperating teacher, but I only have four more weeks left of student teaching and I have not been given complete control of the classroom. noexpression.gif unsure.gif I wish I had known some of the other University students she had had as student teachers so that I could talk to them and see if they had this problem as well. She is just very controlling of how she wants her classroom run (which makes sense), but she never is sure ahead of time what she wants for them, so I have a hard time planning and her way of teaching is a movie and notes (at least for social studies). Don't get me wrong, I've been learning a ton from the observations and just helping out in the classroom and such, but I feel less prepared than some of my other friends that are student teaching right now. This is going to sound horrible, but I get to be the sub in a couple of weeks for her, and I am so freaking thankful that she will be gone. fear.gif I don't say that because I don't like her, I say that because I will really get a true taste of doing all of the lesson planning and doing lessons with more manipulatives and more group work and problem solving.

That's how I felt towards the end of my student teaching. I was able to be a sub and everything too and it was great haha.gif I would also recommend signing up to become a sub once you graduate if you want to/have time - theres still like a month after you're done with student teaching original.gif Have you tried talking to your supervisor about it? Maybe he/she can say something? Honestly, I think that even if you haven't completely taken over you are more prepared than you think you are!!!

I'm working with pre-k kids right now but I miss elementary school so much...I'm trying to apply to jobs via schoolspring but it's a horrible website IMO sad.gif haha

--------------------

IPB Image
thanks alyssa!||formerly jultrencarkimcharclayrub
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 25th 2012, 7:29 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

JORDAN_FAN
post Apr 11th 2012, 6:32 PM
Post #102

Group: Members

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AJ:JordanMcCoy AI3:JohnStevens

QUOTE(AmberTamblynFan @ Mar 25th 2012, 11:24 AM) *

I did my student teaching- at the beginning it was just one day a week but then I had my block where I was there every day for about four weeks, when I taught a unit.

I miss some stuff about being in education, but definitely not a lot of it. This might sound awful but I think I want a job where I can leave my work at work, and teaching isn't one of those jobs.

I felt frustrated and helpless a lot when I was student teaching. I also found it incredibly hard to plan lessons.

Thank you so much for your kind words huggy.gif

That's definitely understandable. yes.gif It would be nice to have the two separate at times. yes.gif Hope you have found something that fulfills you. huggy.gif

QUOTE(Jen @ Mar 25th 2012, 8:29 PM) *

That's how I felt towards the end of my student teaching. I was able to be a sub and everything too and it was great haha.gif I would also recommend signing up to become a sub once you graduate if you want to/have time - theres still like a month after you're done with student teaching original.gif Have you tried talking to your supervisor about it? Maybe he/she can say something? Honestly, I think that even if you haven't completely taken over you are more prepared than you think you are!!!

I'm working with pre-k kids right now but I miss elementary school so much...I'm trying to apply to jobs via schoolspring but it's a horrible website IMO sad.gif haha

I had to get on the sub list to even be able to sub in her class, so I'm definitely on it. laughing.gif heart.gif I just hope that I can get a few subbing days. yes.gif And I do feel loads more confident than I did when I started, but I still feel so unprepared at the same time. haha.gif Last week is my last week, so there's not a lot I can do at this point. I just always thought she'd give me something, plus I want a really good recommendation, so I didn't want to step on any toes. fear.gif

I will have to check out schoolspring, I have never heard of it. Good luck finding a position! huggy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Apr 29th 2012, 7:13 PM
Post #103

daniwub #2

Ok, I have to write a lesson plan that involves some kind of "equity" issue. I'm not sure if it has to be content based, but I'm struggling so bad to come up with ideas sad.gif Any help??

Also, just applied to 7 more positions this weekend. We'll see if I get any, I'm getting nervous!! wacko.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Apr 29th 2012, 8:20 PM
Post #104

What grade level?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Apr 29th 2012, 8:23 PM
Post #105

daniwub #2

Any..the requirements are pretty sketchy, which is why I think I'm so confused! wacko.gif We have to somehow explain how students are seeing their biases from another point of view...but that's it?

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jen
post May 6th 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #106

daniwub #2

I have an interview next Monday for a HS tech teacher fear2.gif I LOVE technology, and feel so comfortable with it...but it's terrifying. My first interview! And my undergrad/grad is in elementary ed. Oh well, I'll take what I can get!

So this sounds SO silly, but what should I bring to my interview? I have a few lessons that incorporate technology I'm going to print out - but do I put it in a binder or do I put it on a CD or something (since it's technology? haha.gif ) I'm sure I sound so stupid, but I just want to be prepared and look like i know what im doing.

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post May 7th 2012, 6:47 AM
Post #107

I brought a binder (even though they didn't look at it, it made me look prepared), but if you have an online portfolio and access to a computer at the interview, you could definitely show them your artifacts. Unless they've told you that though, I wouldn't count on it... so it would probably be best to bring paper copies of artifacts. All I did was print out my online portfolio.

Good luck!! I student taught in an elementary school as well and was hired at a high school, so it can happen!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post May 7th 2012, 4:21 PM
Post #108

daniwub #2

Thank you!! original.gif I have to update my portfolio with things from my masters program. Should I bring it in a binder/folder? Sorry these are SUCH stupid questions haha.gif I might also link them to my website which has my portfolio??

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Jun 1st 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #109

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AJ:JordanMcCoy AI3:JohnStevens

I have an interview next week. w00t.gif fear2.gif

I'm freaking out. haha.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Jun 6th 2012, 6:45 AM
Post #110

Good luck!

I love what I do. I just need to remember that.

This summer my goal is to get certified in at least two other states because as much as I love my job, being a teacher in Wisconsin right now is unnecessarily difficult. I am an overly positive person and I cannot work in this climate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Sep 26th 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #111

daniwub #2

Bumping this thread!!! flowers.gif I got a job as a 1st grade teacher THREE days before school started. Room was a mess, half the books were stolen by the teacher who left, it was crazy...but now this is my 4th week and I FINALLY feel like I am doing something haha.gif I just need to figure out how to get reading groups up and running..... thumbdown.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
ClayfuLnCutE
post Sep 30th 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #112

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken

I just started a long-term sub position as an eighth grade prealgebra teacher; the position will most likely be until the end of October/beginning of November. I'm only two days in and I already know classroom management is going to be a huge issue for me. Raising my voice or telling off-track kids to open their book and do their work is not working. I feel like a lot of the kids aren't listening to me. My class at the end of the day consists of only ten boys, and on my first day, two of the boys got into a physical fight and one boy got suspended. My second class of the day has this notorious troublemaker who is constantly getting up out of his seat, throwing paper balls into the trashcan, bothering the other students, etc. The second day I threatened to send him out of the classroom, and then he started behaving a little bit better.

Honestly...I have no idea what to do. And I really hate how I feel like I was sort of thrown in there. Because it's only a long-term sub job and I came in three weeks into the school year, I didn't get any sort of new teacher orientation and I didn't get a mentor. I've been told that I won't be getting an e-mail address, and as of now, I do not have access to my students' grades or attendance. The other teachers have been super nice but I feel a bit overwhelmed because I can't remember people's names or room numbers.

Yeah, I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. Plus, this school is really different than the school where I did my student teaching. It's in an urban area with a lot of minority students. It's not a bad thing, but my supervisor for student-teaching did feel that my classroom management was weak and that I should avoid any schools like this for my first few years of teaching. I did not realize until the interview process what the school was like, and when I was offered the job, I was so desperate for experience that there was no way I would have said no. Now I'm really doubting my ability to do this. It doesn't matter how well I explain concepts if no one is listening to me sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Sep 30th 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #113

First of all, you can do this. original.gif

I'm only in my second year of teaching, and I teach at a Title I school (high poverty). It's not easy. I, too, did not have good classroom management... in fact, that's still a weak spot. It's not something you can just learn in a college class; classroom management takes some real experience in a real classroom. That's just the way it is. Every new teacher I know struggles with how best to keep control. In some classrooms it has nothing to do with your methods, but everything to do with the individual students in your class and also the chemistry of the class as a whole. I support an Applied Algebra class (prealgebra), and the teacher is amazing. The class? Not so much. There are only a couple troublemakers in the class, but the rest of the students feed off those two and the result is a mess.

Try talking to the individual students to let them know that their behavior is inappropriate, and that there will be consequences if the behavior continues. I would also call home, as that can be a huge motivator for students (if the parents care, which unfortunately is not often). You can also talk to some of their other teachers to see if the problem exists across the board. If the student has an IEP, ask for their profile from the special education teacher. Sometimes they have a behavior plan already in place.

The other thing you might try is some sort of "token economy" system in your class. If the students follow the expectations (have those clearly laid out), they will earn a reward, such as a "free" day in class or no homework one night.

Reach out, too - ask your principal if there are any teachers he recommends who might be willing to work with you, being that it is your first job. Find out how the school works. Is there PBIS in your school? If so, your students may be motivated by that (it's a school-wide behavior management system).

If all else fails, don't be afraid to send a consistently disruptive student out of the classroom. That student will see that you're serious, the other students will see that you're serious, and the remainder of the students might find the class is better without that student in the room. After you have the majority of the students in your corner, the troublemakers don't stand a chance.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Sep 30th 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #114

daniwub #2

That sounds rough sad.gif I think you have to go in there at least pretending you have confidence, and show them who's boss! Horrible advice I'm sorry....I'm slowly getting my classroom management skills and I'm in first grade haha.gif Also, have you gone on any teacher forums? I love proteacher.net and they have some great people there that can probably give you advice about how they handle those types of things! Good luck flowers.gif

I think I figured out my guided reading at least for the week...we'll see after that how it goes! We've been practicing being independent the past few weeks so hopefully they wont come running up to me haha.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jen
post Nov 6th 2012, 5:20 PM
Post #115

daniwub #2

I'm seriously SO happy right now wub.gif I still feel extremely overwhelmed/anxious all the time, but my kids are honestly the best. Of course, they all have their moments (and at some point during the day at least one of them is mad at me!) but I'm so happy I'm doing something I love. And with 1st graders, I can already see the progress these kids are making, especially in reading, and it's truly amazing!!

One of the kids today was confused because I have a twin sister and none of them understood the fact that when I was a kid my teachers didn't call me ms. s. They were like but how did you know which ms. s they were calling on in class? I had to explain to them that wasn't my first name and they were shocked haha.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jen
post Nov 10th 2012, 6:22 PM
Post #116

daniwub #2

This thread is dead but I don't care haha.gif I got my class picture yesterday and just about died. It made me feel like a real teacher haha.gif (so stupid)

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Nov 10th 2012, 9:25 PM
Post #117

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Teaching is a tough job.

Was helping a couple of my students review for an algebra quiz yesterday. I put them at the whiteboard and I got out the teacher's edition algebra book (which is huge) and gave them problems to do at the board. Long story short, I dropped the book on my foot. One of my students was so concerned I would have appreciated it had I not been trying not to cry at that moment from the pain. haha.gif Two hours later it was completely swollen and bruised and I can feel something moving so I'm pretty sure I broke a bone in my foot. Haven't had it x-rayed yet but I did fill out an accident report at school. It's just such a story, though. "How'd you break your foot?" "Oh, an algebra book fell on it."

The problem I run into at the high school is that I look rather young (my principal has commented on more than one occasion now that I blend in with the students), and so I'll have high school boys trying to give me a hug and it's all very awkward. One sophomore tried to lay a hand on my shoulder the other day and I moved away so quickly. That same boy asked to give me a hug yesterday, and I told him I only did high fives. I am so cautious about this stuff. I'm trying very hard to dress as professionally as possible. Hopefully it helps.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Nov 11th 2012, 3:02 PM
Post #118

daniwub #2

It's tough but I'm so lucky to have great coworkers who are very supportive. That sounds horrible about the book but its a funny story to tell! I get that I look young a lot, but I think dressing the part and having the confidence makes a huge difference original.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
masterscorpio77
post Nov 11th 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #119

Fav. Native Artist:Crystal Shawanda

QUOTE(Jen @ May 7th 2012, 4:21 PM) *

Thank you!! original.gif I have to update my portfolio with things from my masters program. Should I bring it in a binder/folder? Sorry these are SUCH stupid questions haha.gif I might also link them to my website which has my portfolio??

I've never bought the whole stupid question bit. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing.

I have a M.BA in Business Admin, so I touched upon Equity a bit myself.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 2nd 2014, 7:26 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: SirLinksalot: Clay Aiken | Celebrity Spider: Clay Aiken