Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's Clay Aiken Fan Discussion Forums - News, Tours, Events, Photos & Message Board
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

205 Pages V « < 184 185 186 187 188 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The official college student thread...
RWG
post Mar 18th 2012, 5:03 PM
Post #3701

Group: Members

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 16th 2012, 9:17 PM) *
WTF how do you not know that Justin Bieber got his break on Youtube/that's how Usher discovered him? Come on, it's been on like... everything. lmao.gif of course, I'm Canadian /somewhat of a Stratford-goer so I'm supposed to know this stuff I guess haha.gif seriously though!!!!! bleh.gif

You're coming to Toronto???? heart.gif haha.gif [/obsessed] I love Toronto. SO MUCH

LOL @ all of that though. I know SO MANY PEOPLE who went to University and took certain programs and then it's like "Oh, I majored in theatre, but now I'm going to be a wedding planner" or "I took all of these environmental programs as a back up and now I'm going to be a teacher" - WTFF????? Especially the last one, that's my sister's friend, and it BOGGLES MY MIND. I only know two people who took courses in University who are still on track in the same field - mind you, one of them majored in visual arts and then did her masters something related to museums... but that's related at least lol.
Bahahaha I know, right? My program professors were literally just industry people who pretended to know crap. Mind you, some of them did and you could tell they put the research in. One in particular though, OMG she was a kook... like not to say she didn't know anything, but she pretty much followed the textbook to the T. Like I still don't know what made her qualified to be a Marketing professor. lmao.gif But yeah, truth on that whole "you can just know one part of history" or whatever. I honestly don't know where they find some of them... But it is kinda like how Ted on How I Met Your Mother is an architect so therefore that somehow makes him qualified to teach it at University. tongue.gif

Uh, I dunno. I don't consider it common knowledge? tongue.gif I knew about Usher but not about the YouTube part.

Hopefully. We'll see how broke I am after I do a co-op and then finish my degree. haha.gif Vancouver is like the friend you love but can't take any more of without strangling him. Ottawa was my other choice but I could imagine myself getting bored there fast, so why not Toronto?

I'm writing an op-ed about this right now. I'm not usually "anti-knowledge," but I think we'd be doing a lot of people a lot of good if we stopped looking at undergraduate degrees as requisites for joining the workforce. Outside of medical students, lots of kids end up with degrees in things they don't care about just so they can say they have it, then they go to another institution to gain technical and professional skills that actually relate to non-academic professions. Waste of time and money.

QUOTE(pink-ebonette @ Mar 18th 2012, 2:21 PM) *

Yes, but university professors know that subject in such extensive theoretical detail and depth that they are (or should be) experts in that field, and continually research to make new ground within it. Elementary and high school teachers do not have to do any research or publishing at all on their "multiple subjects" to succeed in their careers. Professors not only teach, but continually write articles and books to advance the knowledge and discourse of their subject...so it makes sense that it's a more prestigious job.

I know that a university's main function is research, but often what gets stacked on top for professors is not knowing the field that much better, but knowing what others have said about it and developing their own theses. I'd still argue it's harder to learn two subjects well enough teach them than it is to learn small one well enough to write about and research it. That's not saying professors don't have to work their asses off to get their jobs.

--------------------
"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 18th 2012, 5:03 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 18th 2012, 7:48 PM
Post #3702

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

QUOTE(Jen20 @ Mar 18th 2012, 2:05 AM) *

I have never been. Only been to Disneyland. I want to go to Disney World so bad.

It's amazing. I've been about 16 times and last semester did the Disney College Program down there. heart.gif

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Starry_Night
post Mar 18th 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #3703

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. CI5: Carly Rae Jepsen
Fav. Band: Coldplay

2 more photoshop classes left wacko.gif shocked.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Mar 18th 2012, 9:36 PM
Post #3704

Group: Blend Artists

QUOTE(juniorfan4eva @ Mar 17th 2012, 11:58 AM) *

And I'm not sure how I could even become a college professor...? I don't think I have that option in the program I'm in, it's only saying primary-junior or intermediate-senior.

Yeah I dunno exactly, I mean... I guess it would be that you'd study English and everything to do with english and get your degree in English (multiple degrees even?) and then because you're so knowledgeable, you'd apply.

QUOTE(pink-ebonette @ Mar 18th 2012, 5:21 PM) *

Yes, but university professors know that subject in such extensive theoretical detail and depth that they are (or should be) experts in that field, and continually research to make new ground within it. Elementary and high school teachers do not have to do any research or publishing at all on their "multiple subjects" to succeed in their careers. Professors not only teach, but continually write articles and books to advance the knowledge and discourse of their subject...so it makes sense that it's a more prestigious job.

Well to be fair, that might be the way it is at most universities... but not at colleges. whistling.gif not to say that SOME of my teachers don't expand their learning, but they're not published authors or anything. And certainly not most of the people they hired to work in the School of English & Liberal Studies. wink.gif They're usually educated with degrees and what not, and usually are experts in what they teach, but not any of that author business.

QUOTE(RWG @ Mar 18th 2012, 6:03 PM) *

Uh, I dunno. I don't consider it common knowledge? tongue.gif I knew about Usher but not about the YouTube part.

Hopefully. We'll see how broke I am after I do a co-op and then finish my degree. haha.gif Vancouver is like the friend you love but can't take any more of without strangling him. Ottawa was my other choice but I could imagine myself getting bored there fast, so why not Toronto?

I'm writing an op-ed about this right now. I'm not usually "anti-knowledge," but I think we'd be doing a lot of people a lot of good if we stopped looking at undergraduate degrees as requisites for joining the workforce. Outside of medical students, lots of kids end up with degrees in things they don't care about just so they can say they have it, then they go to another institution to gain technical and professional skills that actually relate to non-academic professions. Waste of time and money.

I know that a university's main function is research, but often what gets stacked on top for professors is not knowing the field that much better, but knowing what others have said about it and developing their own theses. I'd still argue it's harder to learn two subjects well enough teach them than it is to learn small one well enough to write about and research it. That's not saying professors don't have to work their asses off to get their jobs.

Toronto is awesome! You can't get bored with it. It's impossible. There's always an undiscovered area... a new restaurant... lame touristy things... etc. And even if you do, Niagara Falls is like 2hrs away haha.gif But yeah... so many good/interesting neighbourhoods. Lakeshore. Harbourfront. Yonge/Dundas. Chinatown. the Danforth. High Park. Kensington Market. Yorkville. heart.gif Ryerson being like Yonge/College area, you're right in the downtown which is so awesome. original.gif I could live in an apartment on Wellesley there and just be peachy in all the madness, lol. Plus, the best part........... CASH CAB. It's my goal in life to be on the show... except I'm cheap so I'd never voluntarily hail a cab... I'd be like "whatever, subway!!!!!" haha.gif

I EFFING HATE THAT OMGGGG.... Gap Inc and The Bay are like, TERRIBLE for it. They'd rather hire someone with an MBA who has zero knowledge of the retail/fashion industry, than hire someone who took a 2-3 year program that has DIRECT TRAINING on how to be a buyer. noexpression.gif I feel like I can't escape retail on a retail level, ugh. I'm trying the back door method currently... "I already work for you, sooo..... give me a chance". tongue.gif

University/College professors do typically have to write their own curriculum though for their classes - some of them get guidelines (which tbh, is pretty vague most of the time, which leaves a lot of room to move)... some of them do get the curriculum written for them (they're a secondary teacher to the class so the main teacher writes it all for the whole class irregardless of who's teaching it)... but then there are those who actually write the curriculum as well. original.gif I find high school teachers generally are given exactly what they're supposed to teach, and while they're supposed to be knowledgeable on it... it's the same, pretty much every year. Why do you think 14-15 year olds are still reading Lord of the Flies? lmfao. SMH. It goes both ways. I do like though that with being a college professor you get to be an expert at like one thing though... whether it's because you've worked in the industry you're teaching about, or whether you're obsessed with something in particular... like, you get to be passionate about it. The Rock N Roll History class I took for one day... like, that teacher had MAD PASSION for that subject. That was his baby. And he knew everything and anything about it.

This post has been edited by bumnummies: Mar 18th 2012, 9:40 PM

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
juniorfan4eva
post Mar 20th 2012, 7:06 AM
Post #3705

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 18th 2012, 10:36 PM) *

Yeah I dunno exactly, I mean... I guess it would be that you'd study English and everything to do with english and get your degree in English (multiple degrees even?) and then because you're so knowledgeable, you'd apply.

Yeah... because by the end I will have an Honours Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education, so maybe there's another degree/course I can take that can get me another degree that is like... University Bachlor of Education? haha.gif I have no idea. I'm sure there's something like that though, I wouldn't jsut be able to teach university from just my generic English/History degree. I'll just have to wait and find out! happy.gif

--------------------
The moon never beams without bringing me dreams...
+Quote Post
Starry_Night
post Mar 20th 2012, 2:08 PM
Post #3706

I have a interview for the graphic design program at humber college next month and I don't know what to put in my portfolio

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Mar 20th 2012, 2:55 PM
Post #3707

argh.gif

So this Popular Culture prof wants a 6-page essay... 1500 words (ish)... and so far I have like, maybe a 900-word 3-page essay. noexpression.gif yes I'm missing a few things from it still, like I need to pull a few of the articles and properly reference them and do all the citations, but.... how the heck do I manage to almost double my essay???? And I don't get it, like he wants a standard 5-paragraph essay (mine's a persuasive essay, proving the point that social media is a valuable and important tool for businesses) so I'm just like... ARGH.

Like already I have to reference Facebook's metrics (which is internet source #1) and then reference Umbra's product testing (internet source #2 - like, the only thing I have for it is a private message from Umbra lmfao) ... and then I'm also referencing something called "crisis marketing" which is from a social media website (internet source #3 which is officially illegal by his standards).... and the only thing I can think of to expand it is using personal knowledge of things that businesses are currently doing on Facebook/twitter - so like, making the example that Tim Hortons asks its fans which flavour of latte they prefer (which how you cite a Facebook post, IDK... but then if I have to cite it, that's just more "illegal" internet sources).

argh.gif I just don't know what to do. I actually sat down today to get this thing written and I'm still majorly frustrated and annoyed.

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
RWG
post Mar 20th 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #3708

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 18th 2012, 7:36 PM) *
Toronto is awesome! You can't get bored with it. It's impossible. There's always an undiscovered area... a new restaurant... lame touristy things... etc. And even if you do, Niagara Falls is like 2hrs away haha.gif But yeah... so many good/interesting neighbourhoods. Lakeshore. Harbourfront. Yonge/Dundas. Chinatown. the Danforth. High Park. Kensington Market. Yorkville. heart.gif Ryerson being like Yonge/College area, you're right in the downtown which is so awesome. original.gif I could live in an apartment on Wellesley there and just be peachy in all the madness, lol. Plus, the best part........... CASH CAB. It's my goal in life to be on the show... except I'm cheap so I'd never voluntarily hail a cab... I'd be like "whatever, subway!!!!!" haha.gif

I've always wanted to live in Danforth (the Danforth?) just because I recognize it from "The Old Apartment." I actually applied for a co-op job in Pickering for this summer, but I don't know if that's a place you want to live.

I EFFING HATE THAT OMGGGG.... Gap Inc and The Bay are like, TERRIBLE for it. They'd rather hire someone with an MBA who has zero knowledge of the retail/fashion industry, than hire someone who took a 2-3 year program that has DIRECT TRAINING on how to be a buyer. noexpression.gif I feel like I can't escape retail on a retail level, ugh. I'm trying the back door method currently... "I already work for you, sooo..... give me a chance". tongue.gif

I'm coming more from a student's perspective in that I don't know why employees have to require university credentials when they don't actually care about the skills you acquired studying, say, history of philosophy. (I bring up those two as most universities' enrollment is higher in social sciences and humanities faculties than they are in business and science.) Only because councilors, teachers, and parents assured me I had to go to university to make a decent living am I doing it, and it feels pointless when I'm just going to enter a specific program for actual jobs after.

Even as an employer though, I'd still probably take a good student from an IT, arts, or technical institution over the average academic. Having been in university for over three years now, I realize that these kids are hardly the sharpest tools in the shed and that they generally really care about their studies. haha.gif

University/College professors do typically have to write their own curriculum though for their classes - some of them get guidelines (which tbh, is pretty vague most of the time, which leaves a lot of room to move)... some of them do get the curriculum written for them (they're a secondary teacher to the class so the main teacher writes it all for the whole class irregardless of who's teaching it)... but then there are those who actually write the curriculum as well. original.gif I find high school teachers generally are given exactly what they're supposed to teach, and while they're supposed to be knowledgeable on it... it's the same, pretty much every year. Why do you think 14-15 year olds are still reading Lord of the Flies? lmfao. SMH. It goes both ways. I do like though that with being a college professor you get to be an expert at like one thing though... whether it's because you've worked in the industry you're teaching about, or whether you're obsessed with something in particular... like, you get to be passionate about it. The Rock N Roll History class I took for one day... like, that teacher had MAD PASSION for that subject. That was his baby. And he knew everything and anything about it.

Yeah, that's a good point. But writing an undergraduate syllabus probably isn't that hard when you've studied the subject for ten years.

My friend in his second year as an engineering undergrad just laid out his "plan" for getting a PHD. He's finish his schooling in 2020. haha.gif What a lunatic.

QUOTE(Starry_Night @ Mar 20th 2012, 12:08 PM) *

I have a interview for the graphic design program at humber college next month and I don't know what to put in my portfolio

lol, I just got an interview for a job that requires knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, which, according to my resume, I do. I started my portfolio for a final project today, and yeesh. I'm screwed. haha.gif

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 20th 2012, 12:55 PM) *
how the heck do I manage to almost double my essay????

Widen the margins rookie.

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 20th 2012, 12:55 PM) *
Like already I have to reference Facebook's metrics (which is internet source #1) and then reference Umbra's product testing (internet source #2 - like, the only thing I have for it is a private message from Umbra lmfao) ... and then I'm also referencing something called "crisis marketing" which is from a social media website (internet source #3 which is officially illegal by his standards).... and the only thing I can think of to expand it is using personal knowledge of things that businesses are currently doing on Facebook/twitter - so like, making the example that Tim Hortons asks its fans which flavour of latte they prefer (which how you cite a Facebook post, IDK... but then if I have to cite it, that's just more "illegal" internet sources).

argh.gif I just don't know what to do. I actually sat down today to get this thing written and I'm still majorly frustrated and annoyed.

Just because I'm a kick-ass researcher:

"Do Social Media Enhance Consumer's Perception and Purchase Intentions of Luxury Fashion Brands?"
"Twit Picks: Fashion Brands With the Most Twitter Fans"
"How Social Media Is Revolutionizing the Apparel Industry - One Message at a Time" (Abstract: The article discusses how social media is revolutionizing the apparel industry. Results from recent surveys explain why now is the right time for social media, citing high growth of social media and customer interest, right demographics, and social influences on consumers.)
"The Fashion World Has Gone Social Media Obsessed, According To WWD"
"Fashion Brands Still Wary About Using Social Media"
"Fashion Scoops" (Abstract: The article presents fashion industry news briefs. . . . Marketing executive Rebecca Van Dyck has been hired by online social networking company Facebook Inc.)
"The Forgotten Market Online: Older Women"
"From radio to runway: Twitter's role in arts and entertainment"
"HP seeks tighter links to fashion online through Facebook app"
"Facebook Users Pick Favourite Fashion Retailers"
"Facebook Expects Boost In Brand Advertising"
"Consumer Entrepreneurs: A Netnographic Study of Facebook's Next Top Model" (Abstract: The article presents a study which explores consumer entrepreneurship in the context of the grassroots Facebook competition for aspiring fashion models based on the reality TV hit "America's Next Top Model.")
"Pixelize Me!: A Semiotic Approach Of Self-Digitalization In Fashion Blogs"
"A Style Blogger's Social-Media Footprint"
"Web’s Next New Wave: Brands Moving Beyond Facebook and Twitter"
"Heel Height Times Tweets?"
"How BI is helping to predict fashion trends"
"Milk Campaign Ended Amid Social Media Firestorm"
"Bringing Fashion Rehab to Los Angeles Library Teens"
"And All That Stuff"
"Shop with the Experts"
"Investigation of Social Media Marketing: How Does the Hotel Industry in Hong Kong Perform in Marketing on Social Media Websites?"
"Integrating social media and social marketing: a four-step process"
"Online marketing strategies for reaching today's teens"

You need a password to read some of the articles. If any of the titles without links interest you, PM me. wink.gif

Maybe you can't even use those, but there are some ideas.

--------------------
"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Mar 21st 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #3709

QUOTE(RWG @ Mar 21st 2012, 12:33 AM) *

I've always wanted to live in Danforth (the Danforth?) just because I recognize it from "The Old Apartment." I actually applied for a co-op job in Pickering for this summer, but I don't know if that's a place you want to live.

I'm coming more from a student's perspective in that I don't know why employees have to require university credentials when they don't actually care about the skills you acquired studying, say, history of philosophy. (I bring up those two as most universities' enrollment is higher in social sciences and humanities faculties than they are in business and science.) Only because councilors, teachers, and parents assured me I had to go to university to make a decent living am I doing it, and it feels pointless when I'm just going to enter a specific program for actual jobs after.

Even as an employer though, I'd still probably take a good student from an IT, arts, or technical institution over the average academic. Having been in university for over three years now, I realize that these kids are hardly the sharpest tools in the shed and that they generally really care about their studies. haha.gif
Yeah, that's a good point. But writing an undergraduate syllabus probably isn't that hard when you've studied the subject for ten years.

My friend in his second year as an engineering undergrad just laid out his "plan" for getting a PHD. He's finish his schooling in 2020. haha.gif What a lunatic.

lol, I just got an interview for a job that requires knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, which, according to my resume, I do. I started my portfolio for a final project today, and yeesh. I'm screwed. haha.gif

IDK I've always heard it referred to as "the Danforth" giggle.gif Pickering is just like..... east of Toronto. It's like living in the suburbs lol. They have a mall at least though! haha.gif

My high school guidance councillors were like that too and I swear they just gave up on me when I said I wasn't going to university. ermm.gif It doesn't make sense to spend all that time and money when you can go straight to college and get job-specific training. blink.gif I understand that University can build extra skills in people, but puleese. I'm broke enough taking 2+ years in college. I CANNOT IMAGINE being in school for so long.... LOL @ 2020 being that guy's future grad date. So messed up. Like, wow. I'll be........ 34 in 2020. shocked.gif No, being in school that long is ridiculous.

My friend was trying to make some sort of trend board in Photoshop and posted on Facebook and was like "help I don't remember anything from school" haha.gif Luckily I use Photoshop practically every day for something random, so I was able to at least put her back in the right direction, LOL. The thing is though, I think even if you think you're rusty, you can pick it up with no trouble... it'll come back to you. tongue.gif

Widen the margins rookie.

Just because I'm a kick-ass researcher:

"Do Social Media Enhance Consumer's Perception and Purchase Intentions of Luxury Fashion Brands?"
"Twit Picks: Fashion Brands With the Most Twitter Fans"
"How Social Media Is Revolutionizing the Apparel Industry - One Message at a Time" (Abstract: The article discusses how social media is revolutionizing the apparel industry. Results from recent surveys explain why now is the right time for social media, citing high growth of social media and customer interest, right demographics, and social influences on consumers.)
"The Fashion World Has Gone Social Media Obsessed, According To WWD"
"Fashion Brands Still Wary About Using Social Media"
"Fashion Scoops" (Abstract: The article presents fashion industry news briefs. . . . Marketing executive Rebecca Van Dyck has been hired by online social networking company Facebook Inc.)
"The Forgotten Market Online: Older Women"
"From radio to runway: Twitter's role in arts and entertainment"
"HP seeks tighter links to fashion online through Facebook app"
"Facebook Users Pick Favourite Fashion Retailers"
"Facebook Expects Boost In Brand Advertising"
"Consumer Entrepreneurs: A Netnographic Study of Facebook's Next Top Model" (Abstract: The article presents a study which explores consumer entrepreneurship in the context of the grassroots Facebook competition for aspiring fashion models based on the reality TV hit "America's Next Top Model.")
"Pixelize Me!: A Semiotic Approach Of Self-Digitalization In Fashion Blogs"
"A Style Blogger's Social-Media Footprint"
"Web’s Next New Wave: Brands Moving Beyond Facebook and Twitter"
"Heel Height Times Tweets?"
"How BI is helping to predict fashion trends"
"Milk Campaign Ended Amid Social Media Firestorm"
"Bringing Fashion Rehab to Los Angeles Library Teens"
"And All That Stuff"
"Shop with the Experts"
"Investigation of Social Media Marketing: How Does the Hotel Industry in Hong Kong Perform in Marketing on Social Media Websites?"
"Integrating social media and social marketing: a four-step process"
"Online marketing strategies for reaching today's teens"

You need a password to read some of the articles. If any of the titles without links interest you, PM me. wink.gif

Maybe you can't even use those, but there are some ideas.

Who you callin' Rookie? shocked.gif lmfao. I've just got like.... my main examples but I didn't know how I was gonna get away with not using internet sources - though, my professor replied to my email thankfully and said at least if I use public things like "Tim Hortons launched their new lattes last year and followed up with their fans on Facebook later, asking what their favourite flavours were" that I don't need to cite it. tongue.gif Although I'm still looking for ways to embellish still...

So far I'm using the Rogers Communications recent example, they launched some new thing on Twitter and instead of people using the hashtag to tweet positive things about the new service, apparently people instead used it to complain about their TERRIBLE service roll2.gif And also Justin Trudeau complaining about his Blackberry giggle.gif

I'm a lazy researcher... I go with what's easy... and recent... haha. And also what I know, like I did a presentation on the "Maynards Most Wanted" campaign for one of my marketing classes in school, so I'm just rehashing that for an example too. tongue.gif

HOLY SH1T YOU WERE BORED lmfao. So cute though, you found Fashion things but this is just for my loser pop culture class that's completely unrelated bleh.gif not that I can't use some of them though, so... thanks? thumbsup.gif haha.gif

This post has been edited by bumnummies: Mar 21st 2012, 1:07 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Starry_Night
post Mar 21st 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #3710

good luck with the interview
It is hard to pick what to put in a portfolio

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Mar 21st 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #3711

QUOTE(Starry_Night @ Mar 21st 2012, 4:33 PM) *

Pfft, the person who got hired as the visual manager at the place I got hired (and then fired) at brought like.... I think EVERYTHING she's ever done with her to the job fair. giggle.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ClayfuLnCutE
post Mar 21st 2012, 6:01 PM
Post #3712

Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood

QUOTE(hannahdotcom @ Mar 4th 2012, 2:00 AM) *

My advisor planned out what classes I have to take every semester until the end. And since scheduling starts Monday, I looked up to see what my schedule next semester would be like. In the fall I have: 3 math classes (abstract algebra, multivariable calculus (calculus III), and math models), 1 education class, and 1 out of (chemistry/physics/environmental science).. First off, can I just say "FML?" Even more so because my math classes are 11:30, 12:30, and 1:30.. one right after another with no breaks.

I can't switch around or postpone any of them. My school sucks at offering classes at decent times. So most math classes are offered at terrible time intervals. (ex: Offered Spring of Odd Years) .. So I have to basically bust out all my math classes (I've taken 5 leading up to the next semester - my 5th semester, 1st of 3rd year) in the 3rd year, because the 4th year I bust out all my classes in my 1st semester and spend the second semester student teaching and making lesson plans. So I have three math classes in the fall, and FOUR in the spring.

Absolutely ridiculous. Who knew you'd have to essentially be a math major to become a high school math teacher (so like a math major taking in addition all the necessary education classes as well)?? The lowest levels of math (stats and calc) I've taken (and will take) in college are the highest (well calc) that I could teach in high school...so it's just the dumbest thing ever. But essentially my 4.0 will probably be gone after this semester anyways (because discrete math is a BEAST) so I should just stop caring about my GPA as much as I do and just try my best and hope for the best.

END RANT.

I have the same major as you, except I'm a senior and about to graduate (thank GOD). Your school sounds ridiculous. Here, our advisers strongly suggest not taking more than two math classes in one semester if you can avoid it, because it just gets to be too much. Also, totally agree with your point about why the hell do we have to be a real math major in order to teach high school math? Discrete is RIDICULOUS, and I can promise you, I will never teach about 75% of the math that I learned in college. It only gets more ridiculous...wait until you get to abstract algebra. It really doesn't get any more irrelevant than that. I found that, the further you get in math, the less numbers you see and the less computation you get to do. After awhile, it's all proofs and I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of proof writing. I was really starting to miss numbers. The thing that's going to be a relief from it all (and save your GPA) will be your education classes. I found that, out of all the classes I've taken, the ones I enjoyed the most were my methods of teaching math classes. Obviously, those will be the most relevant to what you're going to do.
Hang in there. It's not an easy major, but I haven't been able to find a better alternative laughing.gif Plus, if it helps, chances are you're going to get a job at the end of it because they always need math teachers!

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
RWG
post Mar 21st 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #3713

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 21st 2012, 11:05 AM) *

IDK I've always heard it referred to as "the Danforth" giggle.gif Pickering is just like..... east of Toronto. It's like living in the suburbs lol. They have a mall at least though! haha.gif

My high school guidance councillors were like that too and I swear they just gave up on me when I said I wasn't going to university. ermm.gif It doesn't make sense to spend all that time and money when you can go straight to college and get job-specific training. blink.gif I understand that University can build extra skills in people, but puleese. I'm broke enough taking 2+ years in college. I CANNOT IMAGINE being in school for so long.... LOL @ 2020 being that guy's future grad date. So messed up. Like, wow. I'll be........ 34 in 2020. shocked.gif No, being in school that long is ridiculous.

My friend was trying to make some sort of trend board in Photoshop and posted on Facebook and was like "help I don't remember anything from school" haha.gif Luckily I use Photoshop practically every day for something random, so I was able to at least put her back in the right direction, LOL. The thing is though, I think even if you think you're rusty, you can pick it up with no trouble... it'll come back to you. tongue.gif
Who you callin' Rookie? shocked.gif lmfao. I've just got like.... my main examples but I didn't know how I was gonna get away with not using internet sources - though, my professor replied to my email thankfully and said at least if I use public things like "Tim Hortons launched their new lattes last year and followed up with their fans on Facebook later, asking what their favourite flavours were" that I don't need to cite it. tongue.gif Although I'm still looking for ways to embellish still...

So far I'm using the Rogers Communications recent example, they launched some new thing on Twitter and instead of people using the hashtag to tweet positive things about the new service, apparently people instead used it to complain about their TERRIBLE service roll2.gif And also Justin Trudeau complaining about his Blackberry giggle.gif

Wikipedia says it's Danforth Avenue or The Danforth. I thought it was like Yukon, which most Canadians call "the Yukon" for no reason at all (unless to differentiate the Yukon from the rip-off Yukon?)

Four years will be good for me. I have learned a lot at university. It's improved my reading and writing in ways I can't describe. I think if you have those two skills, you have the ability to go as far as your will takes you. Plus I'm just better informed in general. But in terms of job skills, yeah, it's been a waste of time.

I'm familiar with Photoshop, and Illustrator usually cooperates, but InDesign can be a pain in the ass. It doesn't help when the professor does almost all of the lesson with keyboard code you never remember instead of telling you under what tabs you find different features.

Do you by chance know how to flatten selections in Illustrator? I have all these lines and colours, and I just want to turn them into one hard background the way you can in Photoshop. I've tried grouping them, but it just end up coming apart when I do anything else to it. And something as simple as getting them into InDesign is absolutely beyond me.

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 21st 2012, 11:05 AM) *
I'm a lazy researcher... I go with what's easy... and recent... haha. And also what I know, like I did a presentation on the "Maynards Most Wanted" campaign for one of my marketing classes in school, so I'm just rehashing that for an example too. tongue.gif

HOLY SH1T YOU WERE BORED lmfao. So cute though, you found Fashion things but this is just for my loser pop culture class that's completely unrelated bleh.gif not that I can't use some of them though, so... thanks? thumbsup.gif haha.gif

Most students are pretty lazy researchers. No one bothers looking at returns on the second page of a search engine, and no one is willing to read pages when the information they're looking for isn't right at the beginning. Also, people rely way too much on Google, which ranks pages based on popularity instead of relevance, thus giving you mostly commercial pages and very little actual information. Researching became a million times easier for me when I learned to use other databases and archives.

Lol. Whoops. It took me about 20 minutes. I always did that kind of thing as a research assistant and actually enjoy finding resources for people, but when it comes to doing my own research, I put it off so badly. fear.gif

QUOTE(Starry_Night @ Mar 21st 2012, 1:33 PM) *

Thanks. I actually just realized this one only listed the Adobe Suite as an asset, not a requirement, so we're good for the job but still hopeless for the portfolio.

--------------------
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Mar 22nd 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #3714

QUOTE(RWG @ Mar 21st 2012, 11:42 PM) *

Wikipedia says it's Danforth Avenue or The Danforth. I thought it was like Yukon, which most Canadians call "the Yukon" for no reason at all (unless to differentiate the Yukon from the rip-off Yukon?)

Four years will be good for me. I have learned a lot at university. It's improved my reading and writing in ways I can't describe. I think if you have those two skills, you have the ability to go as far as your will takes you. Plus I'm just better informed in general. But in terms of job skills, yeah, it's been a waste of time.

I'm familiar with Photoshop, and Illustrator usually cooperates, but InDesign can be a pain in the ass. It doesn't help when the professor does almost all of the lesson with keyboard code you never remember instead of telling you under what tabs you find different features.

Do you by chance know how to flatten selections in Illustrator? I have all these lines and colours, and I just want to turn them into one hard background the way you can in Photoshop. I've tried grouping them, but it just end up coming apart when I do anything else to it. And something as simple as getting them into InDesign is absolutely beyond me.

Most students are pretty lazy researchers. No one bothers looking at returns on the second page of a search engine, and no one is willing to read pages when the information they're looking for isn't right at the beginning. Also, people rely way too much on Google, which ranks pages based on popularity instead of relevance, thus giving you mostly commercial pages and very little actual information. Researching became a million times easier for me when I learned to use other databases and archives.

Lol. Whoops. It took me about 20 minutes. I always did that kind of thing as a research assistant and actually enjoy finding resources for people, but when it comes to doing my own research, I put it off so badly. fear.gif

Thanks. I actually just realized this one only listed the Adobe Suite as an asset, not a requirement, so we're good for the job but still hopeless for the portfolio.

I actually hadn't heard of calling it "The Yukon" lol. But now that I think about it, I've probably said it like that roll2.gif The Yukon. The Northwest Territories. But just Nunavut. giggle.gif

InDesign = I'm clueless. I downloaded it once when I was interviewing for a job at the newspaper for an advertising position (re: putting information into a preset document talking about someone's birthday or death or event or whatever since it's a sh1tty local paper lol) because they said they wanted knowledge of In Design, and I just remember being... WTF?! haha.gif

I probably do, but I don't have a copy of Illustrator to be able to go in and try to figure it out. tongue.gif I know CTRL+SHIFT+E works in Photoshop to flatten all the layers together....

LOL I'm not really THAT lazy... I went like... 16 pages on Canada.com haha.gif I just get frustrated really easy when I search "Social Media" in a search engine and all I get are like 10 pages of "Facebook is going public", and one random article about some guy who wore the same pair of underwear for a month for some brand/charity. ermm.gif I lack patience so I try to just go with what I know, lol.

OMG I'M THE SAME WAY THOUGH! When people ask questions on here I'm like, ON IT... But meanwhile when it comes to my stuff, I'm like... yeah, no. Like I'll clean out the fridge/cupboards in the kitchen, or I'll clean the bathroom, or I'll volunteer to help my sister clean her room... but when it comes to my room? Eff that! haha.gif I do clean my room though, just to clarify... I just will put it off until I can't stand it any longer (which it's pretty much almost at that point, actually).

Speaking of Portfolios, I actually got an email from Apparel Connexion telling me "It's Fashion Job Hunting Season, Create a Winning Portfolio!" and that "You are more qualified than you think! Many students and new graduates have what is called the Impostors Syndrome. In other words, they are unable to internalize their accomplishments, ‘’I’m not qualified nor do I have enough experience to find a good job’’ FALSE!" Which is probably true about me. Pretty much because I can't remember any terminology to save my life and make it look like I have qualifications. blink.gif Maybe I need to follow up with this email, LOL.

This post has been edited by bumnummies: Mar 22nd 2012, 10:57 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Starry_Night
post Mar 22nd 2012, 2:08 PM
Post #3715

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 21st 2012, 5:04 PM) *

Pfft, the person who got hired as the visual manager at the place I got hired (and then fired) at brought like.... I think EVERYTHING she's ever done with her to the job fair. giggle.gif

haha.gif nice

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
RWG
post Mar 23rd 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #3716

Slept through the mock interview with a career councilor for the biggest interview of my life. Hopefully that doesn't happen on Monday. haha.gif

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 22nd 2012, 9:00 AM) *

I actually hadn't heard of calling it "The Yukon" lol. But now that I think about it, I've probably said it like that roll2.gif The Yukon. The Northwest Territories. But just Nunavut. giggle.gif

InDesign = I'm clueless. I downloaded it once when I was interviewing for a job at the newspaper for an advertising position (re: putting information into a preset document talking about someone's birthday or death or event or whatever since it's a sh1tty local paper lol) because they said they wanted knowledge of In Design, and I just remember being... WTF?! haha.gif

I probably do, but I don't have a copy of Illustrator to be able to go in and try to figure it out. tongue.gif I know CTRL+SHIFT+E works in Photoshop to flatten all the layers together....

LOL I'm not really THAT lazy... I went like... 16 pages on Canada.com haha.gif I just get frustrated really easy when I search "Social Media" in a search engine and all I get are like 10 pages of "Facebook is going public", and one random article about some guy who wore the same pair of underwear for a month for some brand/charity. ermm.gif I lack patience so I try to just go with what I know, lol.

OMG I'M THE SAME WAY THOUGH! When people ask questions on here I'm like, ON IT... But meanwhile when it comes to my stuff, I'm like... yeah, no. Like I'll clean out the fridge/cupboards in the kitchen, or I'll clean the bathroom, or I'll volunteer to help my sister clean her room... but when it comes to my room? Eff that! haha.gif I do clean my room though, just to clarify... I just will put it off until I can't stand it any longer (which it's pretty much almost at that point, actually).

Speaking of Portfolios, I actually got an email from Apparel Connexion telling me "It's Fashion Job Hunting Season, Create a Winning Portfolio!" and that "You are more qualified than you think! Many students and new graduates have what is called the Impostors Syndrome. In other words, they are unable to internalize their accomplishments, ‘’I’m not qualified nor do I have enough experience to find a good job’’ FALSE!" Which is probably true about me. Pretty much because I can't remember any terminology to save my life and make it look like I have qualifications. blink.gif Maybe I need to follow up with this email, LOL.

Everyone in B.C. calls it The Yukon. tongue.gif

I'll try that when I get into it later. Ugh, I told the two other people in my group I would make a sunscreen bottle and a sun on Illustrator for Monday. wacko.gif

I know. It feels good finding things for other people. Not cleaning for them though...

Did you try searching something like "social media -IPO" to sieve out the "Facebook going public" stuff?

Sounds about right. If the two design courses I've taken have taught me anything, it's that you can bs your way through it. At the same time, my friend is just about to finish her fashion design program and complains about how she has to do unpaid internships to start out.

This post has been edited by RWG: Mar 23rd 2012, 11:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Mar 23rd 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #3717

QUOTE(RWG @ Mar 23rd 2012, 12:42 PM) *

Slept through the mock interview with a career councilor for the biggest interview of my life. Hopefully that doesn't happen on Monday. haha.gif

Everyone in B.C. calls it The Yukon. tongue.gif

I'll try that when I get into it later. Ugh, I told the two other people in my group I would make a sunscreen bottle and a sun on Illustrator for Monday. wacko.gif

I know. It feels good finding things for other people. Not cleaning for them though...

Did you try searching something like "social media -IPO" to sieve out the "Facebook going public" stuff?

Sounds about right. If the two design courses I've taken have taught me anything, it's that you can bs your way through it. At the same time, my friend is just about to finish her fashion design program and complains about how she has to do unpaid internships to start out.

Ooops.

Yeah well you guys are next door neighbours tongue.gif haha.gif

Yeah, smooth move wink.gif lol.

Well, I don't usually actually help... I just boss around, lmfao.

Yeah, that's what I've found so far. Like for my visual merchandiser interview I just pulled out crap like "horizontal & vertical merchandising, the concept of the triangle, blahblah" and I don't know where it really came from lol. LOL though, boo-frickin-hoo at the unpaid internships... I should have taken an internship and didn't because... well, I actually needed money, unlike most of my classmates. rolleyes.gif Such an amazing opportunity and it really is so important for aspiring designers. It's all about the connections you make. Look at Sarah Burton. I bet she would have been a nobody if she never started out working for Alexander McQueen, and now she's running his entire house.

And the Mythbusters crew, Carrie, Tori & Grant all started out as interns... giggle.gif That's not fashion... but still.

This post has been edited by bumnummies: Mar 23rd 2012, 1:24 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
yomarisa
post Mar 23rd 2012, 5:45 PM
Post #3718

Fav. Judge: Ellen DeGeneres
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart

So I memorized my monologue for my Acting for Camera class a while back and still haven't gotten to perform it. And I probably won't have to perform it for a while, either. I still have it memorized but I really just want to get this over with. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Shake it Out."
Twitter.Instagram.Tumblr.
+Quote Post
rockitsomemore
post Mar 23rd 2012, 9:21 PM
Post #3719

Fav. SYTYCD4: Courtney Galiano

A student in one of my classes tested positive and is now being treated for TB ermm.gif The school is testing everyone who had a class with the guy, it's kinda scary fear2.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RWG
post Mar 29th 2012, 1:55 AM
Post #3720

IPB Image

*shakes fist*

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Mar 23rd 2012, 11:24 AM) *
Yeah, that's what I've found so far. Like for my visual merchandiser interview I just pulled out crap like "horizontal & vertical merchandising, the concept of the triangle, blahblah" and I don't know where it really came from lol. LOL though, boo-frickin-hoo at the unpaid internships... I should have taken an internship and didn't because... well, I actually needed money, unlike most of my classmates. rolleyes.gif Such an amazing opportunity and it really is so important for aspiring designers. It's all about the connections you make. Look at Sarah Burton. I bet she would have been a nobody if she never started out working for Alexander McQueen, and now she's running his entire house.

Seriously, do they teach fashion kids how to plant money trees? I swear they're all loaded. They all work like five hours a week and live in the West End and buy new clothes every weekend and never seem to run out of alcohol or local herbs.

--------------------
+Quote Post

205 Pages V « < 184 185 186 187 188 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Oct 19th 2014, 11:23 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: SirLinksalot: Clay Aiken | Celebrity Spider: Clay Aiken